The exhibition of the Old Masters of the 16th to 19th Centuries in the south wing of Moritzburg Castle stands out for some significant individual pieces which play an important role in the development of art up to the beginnings of Modernism c. 1900.
In both rooms of the upper storey you will find works by Anselm Feuerbach, Hans von Marées, Max Klinger, Franz von Lenbach or Carl Schuch – representatives of realistic and symbolic art of the late 19th century.
The exhibition continues on the ground floor with works from the first half of the 19th century. The most outstanding of these is an illuminated painting by Caspar David Friedrich. This picture is complemented by paintings by other artists such as Carl Gustav Carus, Ludwig Richter and Carl Joseph Begas. The oeuvre of painter Carl Adolf Senff, who was born in Halle (Saale), occupies a prominent position.
Baroque art of the 17th and 18th centuries is represented by pictures painted by Anton Graff, paintings in the style of François Boucher and a large-scale replica of a history painting by Jean Restout the Younger.
The final room presents late Renaissance and mannerist works of the 16th and 17th centuries. The highlight is a depiction of Diana, goddess of the hunt, by Hans von Aachen, the court painter in Prague of Rudolf II, Holy Roman Emperor.